The Mission:

Not buying any new clothes for one whole year in hopes to move towards my goal of living a life of simplicity.

Day 69

RIVERTON TREASURE DAY.

For those who do not know, treasure day is Riverton's town wide yardsale. Tons of houses participate and it's so much fun. You can walk around street to street and find a bunch of houses having yard sales (which is why it is called "treasure day"). The weather was a bit overcast, so not as many people were selling things as last year, but I still walked around with my mom (and eventually Sami) on a quest to find....well, nothing in particular. But I did find this sweet little tea pot/cup:

Though some of the things I saw were more expensive than I would have normally paid at a yard sale, I figured I'd still get some things anyway for 2 reasons: 1) these "economic times" are rough and people can use the money they receive from their yard sales...so in mind, I was being socially just (as much as that doesn't sound altruistic). 2) this no new clothes project as also helped me not want to buy new things and instead, buy recycled things. It's way better for the envrionment. So even though I may have seen things that I knew were probably the same price if it were new at a store, I still purchased the used things instead of having factories produce more.

That leads me to reveal my new project I have in mind after this year of not buying new clothes is up. For one year, I plan on ONLY getting my clothes used: hand me downs, thrift stores, etc.  It may seem ambitious, but I think after going through 1 year of not buying any new clothes, getting any type of clothes will be great (though it will be used to others, it will be new to me!). But, one project at a time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers